Friday, October 29, 2010

The Cro(w)s - 7" and Durty Bunny LP

I first purchased this record I think around 2000 or 2001. Give or take a year on those dates. I basically bought this because of the name of the band. The Sheryl Cro(w) Mags. What's not to love? I still chuckle when I say it out loud. I guess that isn't the only reason I bought it though. Around that time the name Chris Wollard on a record was a no brainer for me. After all, Hot Water Music had been churning out record after record of solid rock albums and there was no better music investment at the time. You couldn't lose with a record any of the HWM guys were involved with. Everyone is familiar with Hot Water Music, and if you aren't please give me one damn good reason why not. This was one of those side projects that I really felt slipped through the cracks.

This 7" contains 2 songs. #1 Hit (also on LP) and Watch For Repetition. Neither are really knock your socks off punk rock anthems but if you ever see this record sitting around for a couple bucks pick it up. It's certainly worth having. It was released on Crows and Pawns which I think probably only put out this one record and I'm sure this was heavily distributed by No Idea Records. There were 1200 copies of this 7" pressed. 100 on clear brown, 200 on pink marble and 900 on black. If anyone out there has a copy on pink or brown that would like to get rid of it let me know! I tried looking up the Crows and Pawns website listed on here but it somehow redirected me to adult friend finder. Thanks Nicelips2, I think you're cute too but I need to finish this update. Maybe later.In the mean time the band still has a website available here.

The band also dropped their name down to a simpler The Cro(w)s and released this full length LP "Durty Bunny" in 2003. This took me a while to track down but I eventually found a copy at Vinyl Junkie. They no longer have them available but it's still a good distro to check out. When the band put out their first record they were a three piece. They lost a member and gained two others. On this release the band is Chris Wollard (HWM), Bill Clower (Radon), James Ross (Radon) and Kaleb Stewart ( As Friends Rust). Similar to a Hot Water Music record but I think maybe a little more Rock and Roll. The song Everyday Revisited has been on every mix tape I have made in the last 2 years or so. It's is an excellent faster song which has a little harmonica in it.

The record was released on Sounds of Subterrania which is a German Label. It looks like they still have this LP available on their website and it will run you about $16 plus shipping. Get yourself an online translator and maybe find a few other records in their distro to save on shipping costs. The record itself is on thick 180 gram vinyl and comes with the outer sleeve and a lyric sheet which has the lyrics for 10 of the 11 songs. The extra song is at the end of side A and the lyrics are just the name of the album.

Overall I really think this is a must own if you are a fan of Chris Wollard, Hot Water Music or any of Chris' countless other side projects. It's a great record to throw on and enjoy a few beers too and share with friends. Mostly fast paced, gruff vocals, some nice riffs and even some backing vocals by fellow Hot Water Music band mate Chuck Ragan.

No comments:

Post a Comment